Nintendo Switch is a very interesting gaming device that offers portability and user-friendly operations. It comes with an extensive library for AAA games and a lot more features for the users.
The Nintendo Switch comes with a decent-sized screen for a hand-held device, and it also has a Dock. With joysticks, users can easily play around with as many games as they want.
While you can carry it around without any difficulty, at home, you can use the Dock to tether your Switch device with your laptop, PC, or a television screen for an enlarged gaming experience.
The question here arises that how to connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop or any other bigger screen?
Is there a way to find out how to connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop or any other screens?
The truth is that there is no direct method to achieve this operation.
Nintendo comes with its Dock and it is this dock that can be used to connect the Nintendo Switch with laptops or monitors or TV screens.
But this Dock needs to be linked through the HDMI cable that comes along with the console.
The problem here is that the Dock has an HDMI output port only. And if you are aiming to link it to your laptop, it also has an HDMI output port.
Now technically, to link the Switch to your laptop, you will need a connector that has an HDMI input port too, so that it can easily transfer the content of the Switch device to the laptops.
But this can be dealt with through some easy steps.
Steps to connect Nintendo Switch to a laptop:
STEP # 1: Get a Game Capture Card/ HDMI Capture device:
The first thing that you need to make the association between your Nintendo and your laptop is to get a good quality Game Capture Card with sounds. As an alternative, you can get an HDMI capture device too, but its functioning is usually not as smooth and fast as a Game Capture Card’s is.
A Capture card or an HDMI capture device will act as the connector necessary to facilitate the connection for successful data transference.
A good quality sound game capture card has a great output and allows frames per second rate to be quite fast with smooth transitioning.
If it has C-type connectivity too, then it is very preferable, especially if your laptop also has a C- type port. It allows a very fast and efficient gaming experience without any lags. Otherwise, there are many older versions of Game capture cards that work fine too with your laptops.
Now, this game capture card will accept the HDMI input from the Switch and can turn it into USB output, which can then be connected to your laptop or tv screen, or monitor.
If you get an HDMI capture device, your data from the Switch will be transferred to the Dock via this device through HDMI cables. Then, this data will be converted to USB, and from there, it can be transferred to the laptop or TV screen, or a monitor.
One important thing to remember is that both these options are quite expensive, so make sure that you get them only when you are 100 percent sure that you will be playing a lot of Switch games at home on your bigger screen for an amazing gaming experience.
STEP #2: Download the software:
You need to have software to run the game capture card connector.
So, all you need to do is:
- Go to the manufacturer’s site.
- There, you can easily find the compatible software that goes with or supports the game capture card device that you have got.
- Download it.
Now, with the help of this software, your game capture card will function just fine.
STEP # 3: Get your HDMI cables ready:
HDMI cables are necessary to facilitate this connection between your Switch and the laptop.
- HDMI cable comes with your Nintendo Switch console, so you can use that.
- When you buy a Game capture card box, it also contains an HDMI cable. So, you can use that too.
- If both your HDMI cables are not working fine, you may need to buy another cable. Luckily, it is very easily available.
STEP # 4: Connection with the dock:
- Plug in the Dock with the C- connector of the Nintendo Switch.
- For a TV screen or a PC monitor, when you connect the Dock with it, make sure that you unplug their HDMI cables.
- Now, with the help of the HDMI cable, connect the Dock with the Game Capture Card through its HDMI input port.
- Once the connection is made, switch on your laptop.
- Your Nintendo Switch is placed with the Dock, and the Dock is now connected to the Game Capture Card.
STEP # 5: Connection of the Game Capture Card with the Laptop:
- Your Game Capture Card has a USB port too, and it is now able to give you the USB transport medium too. So, just connect this USB to your laptop.
- In a little while, your Switch’s screen will start displaying on your laptop’s screen. This is the same way you can connect your Switch with a TV or a PC monitor too.
Now, with the help of Switch’s joystick controls, you can easily play games and see them on your laptop’s bigger and far more immersive screen.
Not only this, but you can do live streams, chatting live commentaries, game recordings, and a lot more fun activities with your Nintendo Switch connected to your laptops, TV screen, or PC.
Some other options that may be used for a bigger screen gaming experience:
Although, the above-mentioned option is the best so far, there are Emulators also that allow the users to play games from Switch on their laptops. However, these emulators do not function very smoothly, and they are not so stable too.
They often get many bugs and can result in many lags too during the gaming experience. This is not a very ideal choice anyway. But you can still check the different options available in the market.
So, all the above-mentioned steps are very simple and to the point. If you get a good sound quality Game Capture Card, you will be able to make the necessary connection without any trouble. There will be a guide too that will help you through the process.
Within no time, you will be able to enjoy playing your favorite games from Nintendo Switch to your laptop or some other bigger and more immersive screen.